- Press play on the video player above for a quick explanation
The last five of the 16 places in the UEFA Champions League knockout phase will be decided when the eight groups end on Wednesday, with Chelsea and Porto among ten teams still in the running to join the 11 already qualified. UEFA.com explains the permutations.
- Qualified: Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain, Wolfsburg, PSV Eindhoven, Atlético Madrid, Benfica, Manchester City, Juventus, Barcelona, Bayern München, Zenit
- Can still qualify: Roma, Leverkusen, BATE Borisov, Olympiacos*, Arsenal*, Porto*, Chelsea*, Dynamo Kyiv*, Gent*, Valencia*
- Confirmed in third: Shakhtar Donetsk, Manchester United, Galatasaray, Sevilla
- Out of Europe: Malmö, CSKA Moskva, Astana, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Dinamo Zagreb, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Lyon
*Assured of at least a top-three finish
All information in this article is subject to final confirmation from UEFA. These examples may not cover all potential situations.
Wednesday – all kick-offs 20.45CET
Group E: Bayer Leverkusen (5) v Barcelona (13, qualified), Roma (5) v BATE Borisov (4)
- Barcelona have won the group.
- Roma lead Leverkusen on head-to-head so will go through to last 16 with victory.
- Leverkusen need to win and hope Roma do not gain victory to finish in the top two. A draw would confirm Leverkusen in third regardless of the other result.
- BATE must win to stay in Europe and to finish second must hope Leverkusen do not win.
Group F: Olympiacos (9) v Arsenal (6), Dinamo Zagreb (3) v Bayern München (12, qualified)
- Bayern have won the group.
- Olympiacos won 3-2 at Arsenal so the Gunners must 'better' that win in Greece to overtake their hosts on head-to-head (for which away goals do count). A 3-2 win would also be good enough for Arsenal to go through on overall goal difference so in practice they would go through with any win apart from 1-0 or 2-1.
- Dinamo are out of Europe.
Group G: Chelsea (10) v Porto (10), Dynamo Kyiv (8) v Maccabi Tel-Aviv (0)
- The winner of Chelsea v Porto wins the group. Porto beat Chelsea 2-1 on matchday two so will top the group with a draw should Dynamo not win.
- Chelsea will be through in second place with a draw.
- Dynamo will be through with a win; if the other game is drawn, the three teams will be split on goal difference in matches between the three teams, meaning Dynamo would finish first, Chelsea second and Porto third.
- Maccabi are out of Europe.
Group H: Gent (7) v Zenit (15, qualified), Valencia (6) v Lyon (1)
- Zenit have won the group. If they win and Valencia do not, Zenit will win the group by a competition record-equalling 11-point margin.
- Gent will go through with a win or if Valencia fail to win (Gent have superior head-to-head). Valencia therefore must win and hope Gent do not, though both are assured at least third place.
- Lyon are out of Europe.
Standings are provisional until all matches have been played.